On February 2, 1958, the first worship service of University Presbyterian Church was held in the living room of Lawnridge Hall, the former residence of Donald C. Wilson. It was purchased by the Presbytery of Detroit from Matilda Dodge Wilson, for the purpose of establishing a “mission church,” originally referred to as “the Presbyterian Church in Christian Hills."
There were 163 charter members. At the formal organizational service held at Meadow Brook Hall on October 5, 1958, the current name of University Presbyterian Church was selected. Early support for the church came not only from the Presbytery of Detroit, but also from two churches in Detroit and one each in Royal Oak, Pontiac, and Auburn Hills.
Our first sanctuary — now Fellowship Hall — was built in 1963.
In 1979, our current Sanctuary and Narthex were added.
Finally, our Christian Education wing was constructed in 1993.
University Presbyterian Church renovated the Sanctuary as part of our 50th Anniversary Building for the Future project and completed the installation of our Pipe Organ in 2010.
New organ pipes were installed in the Sanctuary in 2022.
As we seek God’s Will for our congregation, we continue to write our history, striving to become all that God, through Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit, calls us to be.